Being raised in a democratic country there were many instances where young kids or teenager are seen as immature minds and their advice or thoughts aren’t given utmost importance and are rejected by saying that you aren’t older enough to talk on the topic, such age discrimination between younger and elder is a type of ageism you all teenager out there might have faced.
Ageism is stereotyping and discernment against individuals or groups based on their age. While the term is also used in regards to prejudice and discrimination against teenagers and adults, such as denying them certain rights ( like of voting), ignoring their ideas because they are considered “too young”, or assuming that they should behave in certain ways because of their age. Older people themselves can be deeply ageist, having internalized a lifetime of negative stereotypes about ageing.
There is already too much differentiation on skin colour, hair type, accent, height, weight and even your tooth adjustments! To discover that there could be another sort of separating the rice from the debris is difficult. Why have humans have created such differentiation barriers? Every teenager is coming up with this major question as most of them have faced this and have some or the other instances at home, school or even colleges.
The following are some of the common types of ageism which people experience in our country. Most of you all can relate to one or the other situations.
- This ageism is not an issue but a major problem subject to a teenager or younger lot of people but is always majorly seen incorporates and in other fields. Some enterprises need younger people while others are looking for more experienced employees. You will be asked to put down your age which might disqualify you yet you can do what they are seeking. Your only problem is you are “too young”.
- The adverse effect of the prejudging is that with time, the people who are being stereotyped tend to slowly grow into those assumptions as they don’t believe they can change them. This ageism is not an issue but a major problem subject to a teenager or younger lot of people but is always majorly seen incorporates and in other fields.
- Usually, ageism in the workplace is seen very often as top positions are given to old and experienced people even there might be younger experienced people. Such acts discourage the younger ones and affect their efficiency to work better The adverse effect of the prejudging is that with time, the people who are being stereotyped tend to slowly grow into those assumptions as they don’t believe they can change them. This ageism is not an issue but a major problem subject to a teenager or younger lot of people but is always majorly seen incorporates and in other fields.
- When a young man or woman is seen with a more aged woman or man, they are frowned upon as it is considered there can’t be any love between the two beings. The young person is taken to be in the arrangement simply for money or any other kind of gains.
- There are situations where a teenager of 16-17 age have good political knowledge but being a minor aren’t eligible to vote, that’s fair enough as it is a law applicable to all in that age gap and won’t be allowed for few. But their advice or suggestions are termed as irrelevant or immature only because they are not elder enough to suggest on the problems which they face like in their studies outdated or irrelevant syllabus and many more, instead the decision is taken by such people who have studied a long time ago and have no idea about current scenario.
Humans are not perfect we tend to make mistakes but many a time younger minds are more mature by some older ones and when they try to suggest something instead of appreciating the suggestion it is termed as a rude behaviour but if the situation is opposite the younger one is termed as the highly irresponsible and immature ones.
In our society today, the old are always seen as wise and very educative. I agree with that to some extent but also disagree with it. You find young people giving some pieces of advice to the general public but their words might not be taken seriously by the older people because they look too young to utter some things. They’ll debate that the young people haven’t tested life and don’t know what they are saying. Imagine such incidents.
These are some of the major ageism examples which most of us have encountered. After watching an old video on you tube on ageism in which the orator being a 17 year old have addressed the problem of ageism as not a normal problem as most of us might feel like. Unlike other prejudices such as racism and sexism, ageism is unique and targeting our future selves as it affects the creative thoughts of teenagers which are restricted or rejected by elders without understanding the impact of that idea or thought.
Due to such mentality students have stopped listening to their inner selves and stopped thinking by saying to self that “ you are 17, you are a teenager and you don’t know major things as u are immature.” This thought makes the teenager accept everyone’s thought but discredit their thoughts. Is the so-called age a parameter to discourage teenager to think creatively? Or you just get a room full of knowledge after waking on your 21st birthday?
Maturity doesn’t come when you attain a certain age level where u can be termed as adult and research have proved that maturity is not a basis of age concept but instead it comes with brain conformity which is not subject to age discrimination. The only reason most of the adults are matured and most of the minors are not is the subject they study as adults have most of the practical and social subjects which kids don’t have which makes their mind not stable enough as compared to adults.
In short, I think that people should not be judged by their ages. Some young people are mature in mind as compared to old people. Age cannot be equated to wisdom. People should not be discriminated based on their age whether young or old they are capable of any task in their capacities. It is not important to go around asking for people’s ages unless you want to give them the respect that comes with it.
Old is gold. With old age comes understanding. There is a lot to discuss because we are young. However, as you go into the world, don’t let the number of years a person has lived on earth hinder your synergy with them.
The problem of ageism will only solve with an idea suggested by a teenager where the country’s older and younger minds collaborate where adults listen and respect student ideas and students respect and listen to their ideas.
Thus Ageism should be eradicated not in younger or adult sense but in every walk of life to provide equal and fair opportunities to all where the only parameter should be talents and capabilities.